Friday, August 1, 2014

Dear EPA v2


I'm sorry about the sea otters
I didn't think a petition would do very much, really
I'm sorry I made all those copies of Nicolas Cage
and spread them around the office like ebola
it was funny
it wasn't worth the soul of a tree
but for a moment we all laughed
and forgot about the sea otters


it's probably hopeless anyway
everyone in my office has seen a Nick Cage movie
but no one could really tell a sea otter
from a walrus
we're already deciding how humanity will be remembered
in the humans
in the celebrity of kitsch and trite
in the refuse
I just keep wondering
if an otter would sign to save me
but that's silly, they can't hold a pen
if they could, we'd let them star in all of our movies and afterthoughts
but that's silly, they can't even type their name
they don't even have names
do they-
if they did they wouldn't need a petition
if only the trees & otters were a little more human
we might recognize them as ours

No comments:

Post a Comment