Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Our Wedding Day

On the day I marry you,
I will wake up as I have the days before
as I will the days after
I will want to polish myself clean
so you might see me as the pebbled offering
I am
I will look back at myself in photographs
marvel at the strange formalities
try to recall what I was feeling and remember
in the span of a day,
not much will change.
When you don't know I'm looking,
I will watch the way your lips ride words
When I don't know I'm listening,
I will sigh the syllables which combine our names
I won't need to make a toast or vow,
you already know all the things I cannot say
The most precious things in my life
are only between you and I
The day after our wedding,
I will wake up exactly the same
but I will have done
the impossible
the invisible
the indelible
But then, we already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment