Saturday, July 3, 2021

Sonja

She sees my almost tears
the lightening of letting go
from the dust on the riverbeds
begging to water my cheeks

She asks- will we ever go home again?

I dance with a crooked smile
because it’s easier to chew a cliché 
than a knot you can’t swallow

No, I say. We can’t go home again.

I was raised in paradise 
by two broken parentheses 
strangers came and held the truth of my family
spread open
dissected
An experiment in tragedy
Undigestable.

Sonja said her father touched her
Asking in a tiny voice for me 
to wipe the slate clean
What does untouched feel like?
I try to relate
My sisters were taken away
Incest was exhaust fumes in a car left running
going nowhere
Purposeless. Deadly.
Pulling back skin from innocent bones 
that now only grow
crooked.
What does untouched feel like?
How does safe taste?
Clean isn’t clean without dirty. 
Home isn’t home without homeless.

No, I say. We can’t go home again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment