Friday, May 16, 2014

NPR


Rethinking every word but standing thick while questioning:
I'm worried because NPR keeps asking for money
like I'm the only one listening
and I'm broke.


I'm worried because I think most people finally fall in love only
when they're losing someone.
At least it's true for me, so I leave a little more every day
as I scream into the loud sound of your silence
your addictive elocution: exquisite
I've never missed the shape of your voice as much
as when it is not on the round-about of my neck
I've said too much
All I meant is here-
time is kinder, softer, sweeter
with you near.


I didn't tell you that I wouldn't mind hiding in your pockets
the soft crevices of your spine
marinating in the words of a book written in a language
that I will never master
even now, my tongue wanders the chapel of my mouth
as a caged bird
rolling each syllable around as wildfire rain
I wanted to be carried around and sprinkle buttercup kisses
on your Everywhere
carried only
until you are ready to let go.
I didn't tell you that I wouldn't mind being
the one you leave.


I still listen to NPR even if I'm the only one.
I like to think the folks there don't mind
speaking into the void
that getting by
matters more than money
that there are things that must be said
even & especially when no one is listening

No comments:

Post a Comment