Friday, May 16, 2014

Tempus Edax Rerum

I used to be a beauty
you wouldn't believe it, to look at me now
I used to be cathedral holy,
before I refurbished this jesus-house
women in my world cannibalized self/other
trying to become something beautiful
the female of our species knows how to be sexy:
cut, curl, diet, burn, bleach, pin & cover
until bile is all that we taste from meals missed and forced down
until we can't even remember our natural hair color
I am not made of rock candy
I was not made to market my funny face
I wouldn't have it any other way
my reflection used to be a quick and embarrassed stranger
until I learned the courtship waltz
of my own full-grown principles
whoever I thought I was dying to attract
could never fill the void
which loving myself has.

No comments:

Post a Comment