Thursday, June 12, 2014

Skin & Shrapnel

we both wanted to be so man-overboard
that we actually believed the things we said
I knew I was just your favorite phrase
embroidered on your pincushion heart
& I should've told you in the beginning-
I'm not such a nice girl & no one's forever
I get bored with the cheesecake sweet
almost believing make-up sex is worth it
but the busted beer bottle bad in bed
couldn't drown out the echo of the sorry
we both felt but couldn't say
my face was buried in your sigh
your legs were wrapped around my shrug
maybe there was a subtler way for us to end
than the shards of skin & shrapnel we became
you said soon I'll hardly be your anything
in such a way you thought it would hurt
maybe if I were any kind of nice girl
it would.
it's taken all this time to bare the truth
we both fell more for the story
than for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment