Tuesday, June 10, 2014

When You Walked In


to see your smile just for me now
& though you said you could never
somehow we both already have
the breeze ruffling your hair
our nearness catching me off guard
the brush and touch
of skin
to skin
like oh, hello
I didn’t know
you were there
and when can I see you again?
when can I taste your fingertips
and entwine them
under mine?
I had something to tell you
but other ears were listening in
sometimes, even in our own lives,
we can’t really live
I wanted to catch up
and say something clever
hope you'd fall for my wit
somehow cloud my expression
which sighs: each day with you
a feeling grows stronger 
that I don't want to spend another
without you.
missing you becomes cavernous
ridiculous
& though I never wanted this
somehow I was meant to
I’m wondering what would you think?
what are you thinking,
doing, seeing
when I am not near you
and when I am that careful distance
between close & not close enough
the thirst aches comfortable
it's all I need
to watch your hushed cup fill
empty
fill

No comments:

Post a Comment