Thursday, March 13, 2014

Artist

For you, art has always been
the truth of a moment 
crackling in silence
caught and released
eternally
Art has always been
as brief as our dash of a life,
as long as 
everyone else's

it has always been made for ourselves
Through the eyes
of everyone else

I looked at a crime made dignified
something dirty made fine
and felt the places in the rocks
which parent jewels
from random bits of this
and that
I saw her hands work quickly
defining our humanity
if anything
the artist is a human
being.
Pulling shape from the ether
Connecting herself to places in you she hasn't met,
but yearns to
she creates
to be immortal and out of time
for just a moment
the place she goes is a nebula kaleidoscope
of potential
grasping at a reason and holding her own hand again
Oh yes- that's where she is.
This outer ring of galaxy
Where the creator is creating
I've never met anyone that wasn't an artist
Some stand on the bones of their grandfathers
and build themselves out of cycles of war zones and depravity
each breath in their lungs is 5 million dollars worth of a blank canvas
they know evils that would make hell jealous
yet felt in themselves the places
that take random bits of this and that
and create hope
A reason to survive
for those who have never known justice or kindness
but feel in themselves that it exists
I think of the effort it takes to breathe sometimes,
when the world doesn't make sense
the battle of trying is immense
and I have to let it go
start with nothing else but where I am
and pull in all my experiences and dreams
(the only things that are ever really mine)
remember that the roads behind me and ahead of me
will never matter as much
as the one I'm on right now.

Today. Be louder than the repeating voice which says: you cannot draw 
cannot sing write dance
that you cannot anything
we are as close to reaching our boundaries
as scientist are
to finding the edges of our universe

No comments:

Post a Comment