Sunday, March 16, 2014

Nessy

I knew I liked you too much
when I stopped sleeping so well alone.
So deplorable is the taming of a wild-thing
It's no easy feat to let go of my mystery
to build doorways into my walls and carry you in
And it was never easy
to be someone loved
from the next room.

An odd orbit 
where the length & depth
between us 
shifts with the tides
I know lonely like the space between stars
blinking a peek-a-boo morse code
That- is my home.

Close enough to see you 
far enough to never reach you

ask me sometime why 
people are my least favorite animals
& I don't like violence or scary movies.
If I'm honest I'll say-
I'm so tired of fighting the real monster in me.

my evils were forced adoptions
they scurried in at my mother's screams
& hatched the night
cops arrived at my call
to stop him
from killing her
they multiplied the next day
when she bailed him out.

No, I don't want to watch cage fights
I feel it in every blow
I've lived it
& I've lost every time.
you can turn off your tv, or leave
but I can't shut out what's already in
& I can't get any closer than this
can't take another goodbye
I know you don't understand
I threw you out in the middle of the night
then the sky melted.
I felt it
too.
It was 2am risperdol, 3:39 trisadone
it was trying every night to re-learn how to sleep alone.
There's a place in me I can't take you
like the scars on my body I cover
there are moments in my life
that keep repeating
It's horror; it's madness; it's better alone.
I only hope one day you'll know- I pushed you away
to keep you safe.

I have made friends 
with the shadows that follow me,
I have made peace with the sleep I can't seem to get
but I walk in jerky motions
I breathe around a knot in my throat
afraid that my family was right- I don't deserve happiness.
I am too lazy; too selfish.
Still
there are days I fit my shoes
when I say stay away, it's because I care.

It has taken every day of my 32.9 years to see- 
the distance between stars
is necessary for their survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment