Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Beloved Stephen- on hearing you stopped believing in a soul.



you fought so hard to survive
through silence,
you found your voice again
we needed to hear it
like fields waiting for rain.
You reworked synapses
ground your muscles to move when they insisted
on returning to dust.


I know, my brave hero,
that you are tired.
It is terrifying to die,
to stop existing in your own mind
but you would welcome the respite.
As hard as you've fought,
you watched from your crooked chair
as everyone everywhere
ignores our fragility
and destroys this corner of the world
that you loved so well.


My beautiful Stephen,
you are the only man I would marry
the only father I would foster
I can't imagine writing books one laborious eye-blink
tongue-touch at a time
& you've written so many
your thoughts must taste poisonous
I know your scientist mind needs proof
why would God do this to you?
There must be no one watching
to allow both star-fall
and a body to twist as an oubliette
in the same breath.


My beloved Stephen,
you are mistaken
people are not computers
we are not random compounds with off switches
you cannot recall the first moment of your consciousness
so please don't imagine your last
The things outside of the mind and body
cannot be completely grasped by the mind and body
Even in the darkest black hole
there is hope


So
at the event horizon,
where moments
never fade
I will have that dance-

No comments:

Post a Comment