Sunday, April 20, 2014

Everyday

Everyday
I will send her diatribes and sonnets
a week will go by so slowly as she delays. 
K2 will have been peaked
Jonquilles will have woken up to spring
Revolutions will have been planned and executed
Before she will say:

There is much to say, and not much I'm sure I should.

She leaves it there.
She leads and leaves me there
I will sit at her borders and beg.
I will show her my depths
that bear her flags
And another week will go by so slowly before she will say:

I have not gotten over you.

And nothing more.
I will recall to her that from her lips my heart still pours.
I will bleed to her.
And another week will go by so slowly
I will have met a bodhisattva
crawled through Einstein's biography
listened to Rachmaninoff for the first time
I will want to share all of this with her
to reclaim the years we lost apart,
but she will only send arrows of intimacy-
from the safety of her solitude

I will think that she is teasing me
I don't know if it's to be left
Or lead.
I will think that she is caging herself from me
Or me from her.
I will remember that her parents named her Aubrey, from the song that sings:
"I never knew her but I loved her just the same".
I will hate them for it.
There are encyclopedias of other names
I will name her Ardent Hello
Then, I will not call her every bad name in my head
When, I am more honest 
I will call the incredible love I bear her
Worse names.
I would erase every word
That I have ever said
If it meant she would really talk to me again.
Everyday, I walk the tightrope
between regretting I ever met her
and regretting not knowing how to stop her from slipping away.

I cannot understand her heart
Even though she is states away,
this world is not so big 
that I do not feel her everyday
it is not so small
that I know there are borders
I may never cross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment